Kestrel 5500 Pocket Weather Meter
Kestrel 5500 Pocket Weather Meter
The Kestrel 5500 Pocket Weather Tracker is Kestrel's environmental meter. This is a mini weather station in itself. The Kestrel 5500 upgraded from the Kestrel 4500 in November of 2015. That being said... functionally, you're not getting more environmental features. So don't feel the need to upgrade unless you find the other exciting changes necessary.
What's new with the Kestrel 5500 over the previous Kestrel 4500 series:
• Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
• Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series
• Improved high resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
• Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
• Multiple Languages: English, French, German, Spanish
• Scratch and breakage-resistant window
• All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
• Slightly bigger, not really noticeable difference. Fits same cases.
• Includes vane mount with all 5500 models
• Roughly 10,000 data points.
The Kestrel 5500 has these distinct monitoring functions over the other 5000 series:
• Digital Compass
• Wind Direction
• Headwind / Tailwind
These added features make the 5500 the Kestrel Meter of choice for military professionals, HAZMAT teams, and flight crews. Like all of the new 5000 series, it can store up to roughly 10,000 data points.
5000 series meters will have both a bright green backlight, which is great for even high sunlight conditions, and a night-vision preserving backlight. The red night vision (NV) backlight incorporates optical filter to reduce overall brightness and minimize blue and green spectrum light to preserve night vision. (Note: This 'night vision' is not compatible with night-vision equipment.) Basically, with the red backlight, your eyes don't need to adjust when looking from your meter to the horizon in night time use.
The Kestrel Meter 5500 Weather Meter measures/features
• Heading (true & magnetic)
• Wind direction
• Pressure trend
• Barometric pressure
• Wet bulb temperature
• Relative humidity in %
• Heat stress index
• Density altitude
• Wind chill
• Air, water, and snow temperature °F or °C
• Current, average, and maximum air velocity
• Waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards) and floats
• Time and date
• Easy- to-read backlit display
• Data Logger (automatic and manual)
• Customizable data storage - 2900 data points
• Minimum, Maximum and Average values
• Multi-Function 3-line display
• Humidity sensor can be recalibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
• Exterior temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors for fast and accurate readings
• Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
• Graph and recall trends
• User-replaceable impeller
• Flip-top impeller cover allows use of other functions while protecting the impeller
• Data charting
• Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
• Rugged (drop tested to MIL-STD-810G standards), waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards) and floats.
• US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
• Assembled in the USA
Kestrel Meter 5500 Includes:
• Neck Lanyard
• AA Lithium Battery (Average Life 400 Hours)
• Protective Drawstring Pouch
• Certificate of Conformity (with complete specifications)
• Instruction Manual
• Five Year Warranty